Startups and Venture Capital
We provide value-added legal services to entrepreneurial startups and venture capital backed emerging companies through their full business life cycle, from initial formation until exit through mergers and acquisitions or transitions into public companies. We advise our startup clients on entity formation, fundraising, capitalization structure, corporate governance, employment issues, intellectual property rights and other areas important to their success. We also represent venture capital firms and other institutional investors in making investments into emerging growth companies.
Public Companies and Capital Markets
We provide comprehensive corporate and securities law legal services to our public company clients. We advise them on SEC and stock exchange reporting and disclosure requirements, compliance with corporate governance statutes, responsibilities of management and board of directors, and others. We also assist public companies with financing and acquisition activities, representing them in public offerings, PIPE transactions, debt and equity financings, going private transactions and mergers and acquisitions. We also counsel foreign companies on U.S. securities laws and the regulatory framework for the U.S. securities industry, helping them set foot into the U.S. capital markets.
Mergers and Acquisitions
We represent various categories of participants in merger and acquisition transactions, including buyers, sellers, major stakeholders, financial advisors, management and others. We offer strategic counseling to our clients and help them customize and execute their M&A strategies. Our strategic advice, combined with our transactional expertise, has enabled us to serve as a long-term and trusted advisor to our clients in connection with their merger and acquisition activities.
A core strength of our practice is representing domestic and foreign clients in cross-border transactions. We have gained recognition among clients by showing a deep understanding of client needs, abilities to create innovative solutions to legal challenges unique in cross-border transactions, and flexibility to be adaptive to changing deal dynamics. With our educational backgrounds, cultural sensitivity and language capabilities, we have successfully assisted clients with transactions in many jurisdictions around the world, including the U.S., Canada, China, the United Kingdom, Spain, Israel and others.
IP and Technology Transactions
Our intellectual property and technology transaction practice covers across a wide range of intellectual property transaction structures, territories, development stages and technologies, including exclusive license of early stage technologies from research institutions, co-development of products and profit sharing arrangements, joint-venture collaborations in conjunction with equity or debt investments, exclusive marketing rights of commercial stage products, and cross-border licensing and co-development.
Patent Counseling and Prosecution
Our patent counseling and prosecution practice includes strategic patent counseling, patent landscape investigation, non-infringement opinions, patent drafting and worldwide prosecution, and patent life cycle management as part of product life cycle management.
• Advised a global healthcare fund on a Series C preferred equity financing by an Israeli medical device company with the aggregate offering amount of approximately $70 million.
• Advised a global healthcare fund on a Series A preferred equity financing by a Massachusetts pharmaceutical company with the aggregate offering amount of approximately $23 million.
• Advised a VC fund in a proposed $6 million Series B preferred equity investment into a US gaming company located in Silicon Valley.
• Advised a China based optical technologies company on a $3.5 million seed equity financing.
• Advised a Chinese pharmaceutical company in its attempt to acquire 19.9% equity stake in a US public company through a PIPE transaction for an acquisition price of approximately $50 million.
• Advised a U.S. based in vivo cell conversion company on its general corporate and patent counseling and $12 million equity financing.
• Advised a Chinese multinational company in acquiring Chinese rights to two pharmaceutical products from a U.S. company with the upfront and milestone payments totaling $39 million.
• Currently advising a number of U.S. and Chinese biopharmaceutical companies in their global patent asset management.
7500 Rialto Blvd, Bldg 1, Suite 250
Austin, TX 78735
New York Office
5 Penn Plaza, 23rd Floor
New York, NY 10001
Silicon Valley Office
5201 Great America Pkwy, Suite 320
Santa Clara, CA 95054
+1 646 378 2055